Translate

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Blog Post #11

classrom
First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class

The video about the First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class, shows in a first grade class what we as college students have been learning all semester. Students in the class are experiencing technology that college students are using today. From the video, they appear to be as knowledgeable or more knowledgeable than I am with some of the technology tools discussed. These students are not only familiar with these tools, they are applying these skills within their lessons. First graders in Ms. Cassidy's class are using the following: Blogs, Smartboards, laptops, high tech headphones, Skyping, Wikis, videos and even Nintendo DS'S. The students also made reference on how to comment properly on blogs. Again, they seem to have a heads-up on us. The students in the video state that the use of different technology have made them better writers, better problem solvers and better communicators. They said that technology has even helped them share more with their classmates. The students in Ms. Cassidy's class threw a shout-out to one of our EDM 310 classes about learning ALPHABETS through WIKIS. These student are not limiting their technology abilities to only their classrooms, but also sharing it with other students across the United States and perhaps the world. They make me want to do even better in this class. I simply wish I had more time. Great video.

Skype Interview with Ms. Cassidy
The interview with Ms. Cassidy was very interesting. Ms. Cassidy's approach to the use of technology in the classroom, is similar to what we have been learning with Dr. Strange in EDM310. Ms. Cassidy's approach is to teach students technology as early as possible. She do not believe that we should wait to teach our children all the new technology that is available today. She believes as I do, since the world is changing so much, it is our responsibility as future teachers to teach our children these changes. I also agree, that we CANNOT teach our children the way we taught them even five years ago.

Ms. Cassidy believes and uses blogs in her class because she believes that the student's work is read by an audience instead of just one person, the teacher. To me, the more people commenting on a blog, the more perspectives you have about the topic. Collaborating over blogs is a great way to see how things are all over the world. For instance, events happening in the world are looked on differently in different parts of the world. I also agree that it is not just a good idea for today's teacher to be technology literate, I think it should be mandatory. I believe a teacher should have to pass a test that shows computer literacy before they are offered a job. (Did I just say that?) Since we have been blogging all semester, this is the technique I will definitely use in my class. Even though I am majoring in physical education, I think blogging and tweeting is a technique I will be able to use effectively. For instance, I will post assignment, share ideas, post important dates and group projects on my blog. I will be able to communicate with parents, peers and students; enabling me to share information at one time.

I think the impediments I may have is assessing assignment dealing with technology. I guess in this case, I will also have to use Ms. Cassidy's suggestions. I will develop a fair system of grading on collaboration. We will have to view assessment differently. To me, grading is a bit over the top anyway. I think if a person can show they know the skill, they should be given a decent grade. I can remember having to do 50 problems in math, but the teacher was assessing the same skill. Did I not grasp the concept after the fifth problem? I believe this wastes valuable time; we could have been learning the next concept/skill. I think by using Ms. Cassidy's approaches, we will not allow our students to be left behind. I think she is a teacher who wants her students to be top of their game when it comes to technology. What I worry about, is the next year's teacher. Will all the work she did in first grade go in vain? Ms. Cassidy's Class Blog

2 comments:

  1. Phillip,
    The content of your post is great!
    "...we CANNOT teach our children the way we taught them even five years ago." This is so factual! Our world is changing so rapidly. As future educators, we must keep up with the changes and adjust our pedagogy accordingly!

    "...the more people you have commenting on a blog, the more perspectives you have on the topic." Awesome thought! I haven't considered comments in that way. Thanks for sharing!

    "Ms. Cassidy believes and uses blogs because she believes that the student's work is read by an audience instead of just one person, the teacher." I think you should take out "believe." This could read, "Ms. Cassidy uses blogs because the students' work is read by an audience instead of just one person, the teacher."

    " She do not believe that we should wait to teach..." "do" should be "does"

    Thank you for sharing your ideas! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See Brylyn's suggestions.

    I am delighted to hear that you will use blogs with your students.

    ReplyDelete