Translate

Friday, February 22, 2013

Blog Post #6



The Networked Student by: Wendy Drexler

The Networked Student video was simple but informative. The video reminds the reader that we are living in a digital world. As future teachers, the video warns us that our new world will require us to teach differently than the way we learned. The video on the Networked Student allows you to have the world at your disposal but the beginning of the video was a bit intimidating.

At the beginning of the video, the Networked Student seem as though it would be for the college and high school learner. The video seems as though a person would have to be self-motivated to complete the project. Again, the front end of the video was intimidating. As I continued to watch the video, and watched it a second time, I realized the 21st Century Class will have to begin teaching the Network method at the earliest age possible. Although this video was meant for older learners, it can definitely be adjusted to any learner. We as future teachers have to change our way of teaching. The 21st Century teacher, according to this video, will have to allow their students to be independent learners with the teacher as the facilitator.

The Networked Student, or the 21st Century classroom will allow the student to control the classroom with help from students all around the world. The students will have all the resources the Internet has to offer. The teacher in this classroom will help the students organize, communicate properly, build networks and identify good and bad information. Most of all, the teacher will be the student's cheerleader.

The question asked, was am I ready to be a networked teacher? My answer is no, but I am trying to prepare myself to be one. I believe anyone in education or any other field should prepare for being a digital age citizen.

7th Graders Personal Learning Environment

The 7th graders Personal Learning Environment video was reassuring. She sounds like a teacher giving the presentation. After writing my post about Networked Students, I know now that we have to begin our students networking at an early age. I believe anyone learns more when you have to figure things out yourself. The student enjoyed the freedom of creating her own project and was proud of completing it. She has a strong understanding of Networking; this is seen in how confident she is in her presentation. Students are so much smarter than I was in high school. My little brother attends a high school in Baldwin County and they all have their own Mac Books. He will be so much more prepared for a class like this than I was. The student video still use the teacher as the facilitator. This is seen when the teacher advise the student to have her information be peer reviewed. This tells us that the teacher will continued to be a needed person in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Phillip!

    First, I would like to say your post is great and very informative. I really enjoyed reading it. I do have a few questions. In the Networked Student, what are some tools that teachers should/would teach the students to use? What are other resources the students can use?

    Wasn't that seventh grader's PLN amazing! I know I felt like I needed to step my game up a bit. I like how she had everything so organized to where she didn't have to scramble to find her materials and resources.

    Great post, Phillip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. So get ready to be a Networked Teacher! Baldwin County will be a great place to be a teacher!

    ReplyDelete