Translate

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Blog Post #5

Krissy Vinosdale

If I Built a School

Ms. Vinosdale is a teacher who realize that a degree is a process of becoming a teacher; it does not make you a teacher. She is a teacher who seems to realize that a teacher does not just teach, but is a person who is always learning. Krissy believes that when you teach, improvements are not options but a requirements. I believe like Ms. Vinosdale, that I can learn from anyone. My parents have always taught me and my brother that we can even learn from bad people. They have always told us that learning what not to do is just as important as learning what to do. I also love the brain illustration of the regular brain and the brain on Edcamp. I never new what Edcamp was. I think our EDM 310 class have been preaching the Edcamp philosophy the entire semester so far. We have been learning to share ideas, collaborate with others and use the ideas of others (making sure we give them the credit).

After exploring Ms. Vinosdale's post on her blog, she is definitely a teacher I would love to have as a mentor. She shared many ideas on her blog such as: Teach out of the box, Teach everyday like it's your very last day because one day you'll be right and so many more great phrases. Most of all, I like the fact that she realizes a good teacher is always learning.

If given the opportunity to build a school, I would build it a whole lot different than the school I graduated from. With technology being on the cutting edge, MY school would be built around all the new technology out there. The first thing I will make sure my school has, is the very best security system in the world. After the Connecticut tragedy, safety will be my first priority. MY school will have computers in the hands of every student and employee. The teachers in my school are teachers who are willing to learn, teach and use technology. I will not have desk in any room, but tables instead. I think my classrooms will be more like a science lab room. This will enable students to collaborate and solve problems on their own. In the school I build, the teacher will be more of a facilitator than a dictator. My school will also be a place where students will be able to have time to collaborate and work on inventions that will make the world a better place. My school will also have a place where parents and the community will be able to learn technology skills too. The name of my school will be 'The School of the World', because in my school, we will have access classes that will reach the entire world. Oh, did I mention that at MY school, students will be able to learn any language they desire. They will need these language classes to collaborate with other students around the world.

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir

My reaction to internet use in this post is simply Wow! and How did they do that? I truly believe a person has to see the video for themselves to get the full effect. The video is conducted by Mr. Witacre and the choir comes from all around the world. This video is so amazing, that I had to ask myself, what can't technology do? I can see people sitting down asking themselves what can't we do with technology, listing things and then figuring out how to do it. The Virtual Choir is one of those technology greats that everyone will always listen to in amazement. Thanks for sharing Jennifer.

NPR Interview with Eric Whitacre

The interview with Mr. Whitacre explains the way the virtual choir was put together. The most unique fact is that the singers never meet, they are never in the same room with the other singers. In fact, they are from different parts of the world. Each singer sends Mr Whitacre their recordings and he puts the video together. Mr. Whitacr says that his singers come from Singapore, Massachusetts, Sweden, Texas and many other places. The thing I enjoyed most, was watching all the different backgrounds of the singers.

Teaching in the 21st Century by Kevin Roberts (John Strange's Version

In the video Teaching in the 21st Century, Kevin Roberts thinks that students will be learning technology that requires teachers to change the way they are teaching. He believes teachers have to change their teaching styles. At first, the video makes you believe that Robers think teachers are not needed. After watching the video more, you realize that Robers understand the need of teachers in the classroom. The video points out that students are able to find out information on anything, anytime and anywhere. I too agree with this, I can Google anything and find out anything on the topic.

Mr. Roberts states that teachers have to be there to teach responsibility and integrity. They have to include the new technology into their lessons. Lessons have to be relevant, challenging and engaging. He ask the question, how do we manage lap tops, cell phones and iPods; he recommends we manage them like we handle paper, pen, pencil, books and notebooks.

Since the world is changing so rapidly with technology; we as future teachers will have to change our teaching styles. We will have to be teachers who are not afraid to step out there and try new ideas. As a future teacher, I agree with what Mr. Robers video points out. He was not at all putting teachers down, just stating the facts. Teachers will be facilitators and people who will be there to help students filter, validate, communicate and problem solve.

Yes, technology offers us many useful ways to make our lives easier and better. However, there is bad and good technology out there (just stated by Mr. Erci Whitacre. I believe teachers are the people who will help students understand the correct ways to use technology. As a future educator, if I don't adjust to the needs of our students today, I will probably be out of a job. I plan to train myself to be a teacher for the 21st Century classroom.

Flipping the Classroom

My reaction to this approach is that it seems to be an approach that will be able to help all students in the class. I do believe that some classrooms are so diverse that this approach will be very effective. The flipping approach will help the slow learner, as well as the student that is bored and requires more engaging work. I like the idea that students are learning at home and having more opportunity to engaging work at school. I do have a problem with students who do not have technology at home. I know the teachers on the video stated that they would be able to view the lesson the next day, but I still think this makes them stand out too much. I think for this to be the most effective, the schools will have to provide technology for the students to use at home. I do understand the purpose and I think it is a good approach to learning. I also believe there are bugs that have to be sorted out, such as technology at home, students who are not self motivated, students who have to take care of their siblings, etc... Even though I am majoring in physical education, I would use this approach in a classroom setting.

2 comments:

  1. "...who realize that a degree..." realizes, not realize

    Thorough, Thoughtful, Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your idea on teaching languages at your school. I creates such a great opportunity for everyone. Also with the interaction between students across the world they will learn so much more than just another language.

    ReplyDelete