Translate

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blog Assignment #3

peer edit
Paige Ellis' Blog Assignment #12 (Summer 2011)
Paige Ellis' blog focus on Peer Editing. In her blog, she explains that using a peer editor is not an easy task and will take practice to become an effective peer editor. In her blog, she encourages us to perform several tasks: watch the video, What is Peer Editing, view the slideshow Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial and to watch the video, Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes.

Peer Editing
In the Peer Editing video, I learned the definition of peer editing. According to Paige Ellis, peer editing means making suggestions, comments and compliments to someone, preferably your classmate's paper. I learned there are three steps that peer editors should follow: an editor should compliment the author on what is good about his/her work, an editor should make suggestions on how to make the author's work better and lastly, the editor should make corrections in punctuation, grammar, sentences and spelling. The video also taught me to stay positive and specific when editing my peer's work.

Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial
The Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial's slideshow was very similar to the Peer Editing video. The slideshow explains the meaning of peer editing and also listed the three main things editors must do to be effective. The slideshow differs from the video in that it gives an opportunity to view suggested compliments to use when editing peer work. The slideshow also allowed me to practice editing the proper way.

Writing Peer Reviews Top 10 Mistakes
The video Writing Peer Reviews Top 10 Mistakes, was about children sharing different types of poor editing. I learned a lot from this video. I learned that there are definitely 10 ways I should not edit a peer's paper. The video taught me that a person should not be too picky, mean, pushy, loud, too fast or too defensive. An editor should also stay on the topic, not be social with others when editing, should be specific and should care what is happening during editing. This video taught me what not to do when I edit one of my peer's work.

Classmates Critique
My group did pretty well altogether. However, there were a few grammatical errors, but all the blogs met the criteria and were on a 12th grade level of writing. All in all, my group produced very well written blogs. They definitely listened to the videos and read the assignment we were given. The blogs were very easy to read, and also had clarity. After I found grammatical errors, I sent them e-mails on things they should check over. I will respond my positive comments publicly(blog), this in turn may help other readers to look over their blogs to help make them better. I will respond to major errors privately, via e-mail. After completing this assignment, I learned more than anything that an editor should never offend the author. I would not want to embarrass a person, but I would want to make sure they corrected their errors. I think it is my duty as a peer editor to let the author know; this will help their work earn a better grade.

Author: Phillip Hall

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Phillip. I thought your post was interesting. I thought you did an excellent job on discussing peer editing, how important it is and how these videos on peer editing benefitted you in your peer editing abilities. It was interesting how you broke down each element of peer editing into different paragraphs. I thought you did an awesome job!I did see some sentence errors, and as Jacey stated, you need to include links, but that was all I saw. Very interesting

    ReplyDelete