Translate

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Blog Post #4

Author: Phillip Hall

keyboared The Purim Story

Wow! is my first reaction after listening to Langwitches Listening-Comprehension-Podcating Post. Children age seven and eight, told the Purim Story. The story was told by the entire class. The beginning of the story was in English and the second part in Hebrew. Even though I do not speak Hebrew, and only know one word (Shalom), the story stayed exciting even when I know longer understood the words. The children made the story flow from one language to another. I enjoyed the tone of the laugh, the party scene and the enthusiasm in the children's voice. No matter what the language, the listener is able to determine that Harmone (?) is a bad guy. The children told a wonderful story together.

The article points out many useful things that will help me with my podcast. After reading this article, and viewing the video, I will be sure to edit my podcast. Editing skills will be in fluency, which will help in how smooth my podcast sounds. The ability to re-listen and play with the mechanics of my podcast, will hopefully make my podcast presentation better.

The Flat Stanley Podcast

Langwitches.org
The Flat Stanley podcast was pretty cool! First, the teacher and students developed a storyline, which was to send each child to any location they chose. The teacher only had a few rules for the podcast. The children had to say their location, how they would get there and how they would get back home. They were also told to make their stories exciting by sound effects and excitement or tones used in their voices. The children were encouraged to use as many senses to help the listeners travel with them to their location. The podcast took the class all around the world and even to outer space.

One student took the class to London, England, where we went to the musical Les Miserable; the student even sang at the musical. Another student took the class to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, where we learned to say "Roll Tide". We then went to otter space! On this trip, the students/listener experienced the blast off of a spacecraft; fantastic sound effects on this trip. We then came back to Earth and traveled to Israel and went to many places. I traveled to the North Pole, where I was chased by a Polar Bear. On our next trip, we traveled back in time to old Chicago. I traveled to several other interesting places with this group of students. The students did a wonderful job presenting this podcast; at times it really was as though we traveled to the locations in the podcast. What I will include in my podcast from viewing this podcast, is remembering to show excitement whenever possible in my podcdast; it makes the presentation more enjoyable. I will also include different sound effects; another item that will make my presentation more exciting. Since this lesson/podcast took us to so many locations, I'm sure the search engine Wolfram Alpha could have been used in this project. Therefore, I'm sure I will use Wolfram Alpha in my podcast for research.

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom

In this podcast, students are practicing project based learning. Students are encouraged to create a topic, research the topic and present their findings in a podcast. The teacher is there to help only if needed. Children work in groups, so they are able to collaborate with each other and be as creative as they want to be. By the use of technology, students are also able to collaborate with students all over the world. Within the research, students are encouraged to use their higher order thinking skills. One of the students in this presentation said that she enjoyed podcasting because it allows her to enjoy her lesson with her family. She stated that they even listen to her podcast on long car rides. As a future teacher, I will use podcasting to keep parents and students aware of what is going on in my class. I can see myself making my podcast and having it on my own created website. My podcast could be to inform parents and students of tests coming up, future meetings, field trips and rules I will have in my class. Podcast's can be used for many things. I think podcast's are definitely more creative than a regular teacher directed lesson and will keep a student's attention a lot better. Just seeing how students used podcasting in this lesson will help me to create a better podcast myself. This is a technique I will definitely use when I become a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Philip,
    Your second paragraph in the Flat Stantley portion is hard to keep up with. You switch back and forth between the reader point of view and then the students point of view.

    It seems like you have a better understanding of what a Podcast is and how to use it. Remember when you create your podcast with your group this semester to be creative! It should be interesting to watch while being informative as well.

    You do needs links in your posts every week. Use the html code.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Philip!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post on podcasts. I loved the children's podcast of the Purim story too. I agree with you, podcasts are more creative than a regular lesson and they are fun for the kids. I also agree that podcasts are a great way to keep the parents and students informed and aware of things in class. My only suggestion is that you should stay with one point of view. In some of your paragraphs you switch from the narrator's point of view to the student’s point of view and it can be hard to follow. Other than that your article was great!

    ReplyDelete