Translate

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Blog Post #14

E-textbooks

Teacher Knows if You Have Done the E-Reading

The article Teacher Knows if You Have Done the E-Reading, was a study done by colleges to see if students were properly reading their assignments on E-textbooks. The article does this through a new technology source called CourseSmart. CourseSmart is a tracking device to see if students are actually opening their online textbooks and reading. The article points out benefits about CourseSmart as well as complaints about this program. Some of the benefits were finding data out that will help students attain better study habits, and enhance test scores. Some of the complaints from the program were bugs in the program and tricking the program. It was stated that students could trick the program by simply leaving it running while they went about other chores. I guess with more research and data collection, better information may become available. For now, the jury still is still out on CourseSmart.

As a Teacher

As a future teacher, I think this kind of technology is just a way for big companies to make money. I'm sure the companies believe that CourseSmart's data will benefit the teacher and student. As for me, I say again, students learn differently because of what is going on in the world and in their own personal lives. As a teacher, I will not dismiss this kind of technology, but I will not allow it to run my classroom. I will also not judge my student's performance based on CourseSmart.

As a Student

As a working student, my opinion is simple, students learn differently; always have and always will. As a student, I have to prepare for tests as early as possible and look over my notes daily before and exam. My cousin, on the other hand, crams before her tests and still receives good marks. The man mentioned in the article, who has to work and has a family, does the best he can. His study habits fits his lifestyle, as does mine. It's hard on all college students who have more on their plates than just college. I do not make excuses, but I study hard with the time I have. I do not need or require someone checking up on me, to see if I am studying or not. I believe they are my grades and I know what I have to do to get good grades. If this technology applied to me now, I have to say that I would remain doing as I always have, the best I can, with the time I have. I truly believe people/students know what they have to do, and will do it without someone watching us or keeping track on us.

Questions for the Instructor

1.)What evidence have you found that CourseSmart works? 2.)What do you think about the comment, "There is no problems with the software"? Do you think bugs can be in any software? 3.)How can you ensure your students are truly reading the digital text? 4.) Do you think this is a market ploy for large book companies?

Questions for the Students

Have you ever just left your book open to make the instructor believe you were reading? 2.) Do you cram or study the entire week before a test? 3.) Do you believe CourseSmart is worth the money? 4.) What is you opinion of CourseSmart?

My Comment

My comment for this blog assignment is that CourseSmart sounds good but has not been proven; it still needs to be proven to be worth the cost. I believe that people learn differently and thinking you can make them study more through this type of technology, will probably not work.

No comments:

Post a Comment